Thursday, November 15, 2012

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes With Streusel Topping



My wonderful friend Madison introduced me to these sweet potatoes when she had us over for dinner one night. I've never been a sweet potato fan and I never would have made them on my own if she hadn't served them to us for dinner. They are super simple to make with the bonus of only using pantry staples; except for the sweet potatoes which are pretty crucial to the finished dish.                                       

The original recipe also includes walnuts in the streusel topping, but I am not a fan of nuts in my food so I leave them out. These are also perfect for Thanksgiving. You can make them ahead of time and then put them in the fridge. When you're ready for them just pop them back in the oven to heat them up again. 

This recipe is really straight forward and to tell you the truth I don't even use the recipe anymore I just throw some sugar and butter in until I think it's enough and every time they turn out delicious.

Recipe slightly adapted from Lauren's Latest

Ingredients:
3 large sweet potatoes
4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
pinch salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
streusel:
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional, I don't use them)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
Directions:
1. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork or knife and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until soft. You can also microwave the sweet potatoes on high for 13-15 minutes as well.
2. Once they are soft, slice in half and scoop out the centers into a bowl leaving a 1/4 inch border of sweet potato with the skin. Mix in brown sugar, butter, salt and cinnamon until smooth. Spoon mixture back into shells. 
3. Combine all ingredients for streusel and mix together until it starts to clump. I like to use my fingers for this part, I think it's the easiest way to mix the streusel. Top the filled sweet potatoes with the streusel and bake 20-30 minutes or until warm again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails