Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tasty Lentil Tacos


We tried out Lentil Tacos this week and really liked them. I was actually surprised how much we enjoyed eating them. The only complaint we had was that the lentils where still pretty hard. I ended up cooking them a lot longer than the recipes says and they still didn't get soft enough. We didn't want to wait any longer so we just ate them like that.

I halved the recipe and we used soft whole wheat tortillas because I'm more of a soft shell kind of girl. Also Addie loved eating the lentil mixture and rice, that makes this another healthy toddler food.

Now we have healthy and delicious alternatives to hamburgers and tacos. Try them out, let me know what your family thinks of them.

Lentil Tacos
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon canola oil
  • 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 12 taco shells
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded lettuce
  • 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
  • 6 tablespoons fat free sour cream
In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentils, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Uncover; cook for 6-8 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Mash lentils slightly.

Stir in salsa. Spoon about 1/4 cup lentil mixture into each taco shell. Top with lettuce, tomato, cheese and sour cream.

Recipe from allrecipes.com

Check out A southern Fairytale, Blessed with Grace, and Balancing Beauty and Bedlam for more recipes.

6 comments:

Alison @ Hospitality Haven said...

I would usually gravitate to using kidney beans, black beans or pinto beans for tacos, but I think I'd like to try your idea of lentils!! Sounds like a great alternative. :)

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

This sounds really good. I never thought about using lentils instead of beef or chicken.

The Prudent Homemaker said...

We had lentil tacos for lunch two days ago.

I cook the lentils in a pot in water (salt will keep them hard, so that could have been why yours didn't soften), and when they are done (about 30 minutes later), I add taco seasoning to them. (I buy it in bulk at Sam's Club).

Then, I just add them to home-fried shells.

Unknown said...

Great idea with the lentils. I'm always looking for new ways to use them. I would love for you to join me for Crock Pot Wednesday. There's a giveaway going on this month. We usually ski in Utah (Park City and Deer Valley mostly) but made the trip to Colorado this year. I miss Utah.

Brenda said...

I never thought of using lentils to make tacos, we really like lentils though, I'll have to try it.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

What a great idea! The tacos look great. Thanks for linking your post to TMTT.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails